What to Do if You Contact a Line
In the event that your machinery or vehicle contacts an overhead line:
- Drive clear of the line if it is safe to do so.
- Remain in your vehicle and call 911.
- Only leave your vehicle if it is absolutely necessary and then be sure to jump clear of the vehicle ensuring that you do not maintain contact with the vehicle with any part of your body. It is critical that you do not touch your vehicle and the ground at the same time.
- Once on the ground, hop or shuffle, keeping both feet together, until you are at least 10 meters away. Electricity can be conducted through your body when you step which is why it is so important to keep your feet together.
- Do not allow anyone to approach the equipment as they will be walking into an energized zone and will be in danger.